Free Form RX laboratory production process
The first installation Auto Taper attaches a protective tape on the outer side of lens blanks prepared for production. During production, it will protect the lens blanks from damages.
In the next stage, blanks with a protective tape travel to the main lens processing line (Modulo line). The line is fully automated and controlled from a control centre where one can monitor and, if necessary, change the status of orders in the line, and subsequent processes. All machines is set out in a circle, and lenses are transferred from one device to the other with an automatic distribution and transportation conveyor system.
Equipment and procedures of the automatic lines (Modulo line):
1. The CCU fully automated blocker on each workpiece, in the side covered with a protective tape, places a form on the casting ring through which the alloy is poured. Before that, the automatic hand puts the block piece on the middle of the ring, to help the workpiece travel across all the units of equipment in the automated line. In the case of non-standard lens diameters and shapes block piece can be cast with a CB Bond mechanical blocker. The block piece is used for attaching a lens to the equipment fasteners during the processes.
2. Blocked lenses in the CCS collector are kept for 40 minutes to cool down to room temperature to prevent lens deformation or other defects during generation and production processes. After the required period of time CCS releases orders to the conveyor line one after the other for further production processes.
3. The HSC XT fully automatic lens generator prepares the inner surface of the workpiece with extra high precision, making three cutting steps, while the final cutting is carried out using a 2 mm natural diamond (with accuracy of 1 μm) to create the diopters specified to the patient's prescriptions.
4. After generating a lens, the order proceeds to the automated polisher CCP where both lenses are simultaneously polished in two polishing steps, using different surface roughness tools, according to specified parameters.
5. The next step is checking the lens quality with the automated device PMD. This equipment allows to check the lens surface quality before deblocking, and without stopping the entire conveyor system and other orders on it. The equipment illuminates the lenses with ultraviolet light, while two extra high-resolution cameras located inside take thousands images of the surface (lens relief scanning). Upon completion of the lens surface measurements, the diopter and the surface smoothness map shows up on the computer screen to demonstrate the lens surface and quality parameters.
6. The CCL automatic CO2 laser marks the geometry points on the lens surface for progressive lens centring during cutting.